How to change factor
If you are currently unhappy with your factor, you have the right to change. The process to change can be challenging, but can be worth it in the end when you are set up with a new factor who you feel happier with.
The ‘Deeds of Conditions’ within your Title Deeds for your house outlines the process for changing factor. When new homes are built, the housing developer appoints a factor for the estate. Usually to change factor you will need the majority vote of homeowners who agree to this change. You will find the number of homes and conditions to change from within the in the Deeds for your estate. However, you should be aware that sometimes developers put in additional conditions to change, a time restriction or a higher percentage of owners signing up so you will need to double check the requirements that apply to you and your estate carefully.
If you do not have a copy of your Title Deeds, you can get these from the lawyer who acted on your behalf when you purchased your home or, you can request a copy from the land registry.
STEP-BY STEP GUIDE TO CHANGING FACTOR:
- Get a copy of your ‘Deeds of Conditions’ – this will give you the ‘process to change’ and any conditions particular to your estate.
- Get a copy of the Title Plan for your estate – this will help you when you are looking for a majority number for homeowners who want to change and show you the boundary for your estate.
- Get a majority of homeowners on your side to change – you can do this through leafleting, meetings, community council or informal means. You may want to have comparison costs and service level information from other factors to strengthen your case.
- Once you have a majority (or the required % as laid out in the terms of the Deeds), you must have a meeting to which your current factor should be invited.
- Make the decision to change and move forward with a new factor.
- If you are interested in finding out more about our services as a factor, please fill in the form below and a member of our team will contact you to discuss your situation and requirements.
If you are interested in finding out more about our services as a factor, contact us and fill in the form and a member of our team will contact you to discuss your situation and requirements.